Microneedling is Collagen Induction Therapy. The most therapeutic devices are powered microneedling devices that use tiny needles to make micro-channels or injuries in the skin to then stimulate collagen and elastin formation, the building blocks of skin tissue. At WIFH, we use SkinPen.
Microneedling has become a popular anti-aging procedure, which the Kardashians have made famous. Microneedling with PRP, or platelet-rich plasma is an add-on to microneedling and is not offered at all practices. If your skin care provider does not offer PRP, the practice may instead offer a growth factor treatment following your microneedling procedure, which utilizes the same theory as PRP. In PRP, the plasma has growth factors to basically supercharge healing and collagen stimulation. Growth factor serum creates the same result without the need to draw blood.
Benefits of Microneedling
There are a number of amazing benefits of microneedling with SkinPen.
- Improves fine lines and deeper wrinkles
- Reduces acne scars
- Softens stretch marks
- Evens skin tone
- Lightens hyperpigmentation and sun spots
- Reduces appearance of pores
- Firms and smooths skin texture
- Heals scars
- Reduces broken capillaries and spider veins
- Brings back the glow for fresher, younger-looking skin
Microneedling offers amazing benefits to getting and keeping your skin beautiful, but like any good skin procedure there are important aftercare instructions that you will need to follow to get the most out of your skincare treatment.
Since SkinPen microneedling creates micro wounds in the skin, patients cannot return to their normal skincare routines right away. In fact, immediately after your treatment, you will look as though you have a mild to moderate sunburn, and your skin may feel warm and tighter than usual. Keep in mind, these effects are normal and they typically subside within a few hours after treatment, but can take up to 24-48 hours for complete resolution.
Don’t worry: your skin professional will discuss post-procedure skincare following the treatment to help soothe, calm, and protect the skin. Continue to treat the skin gently for three days after microneedling, and you may resume your normal skincare routine after day three post-treatment.
Our Recommendation at WIFH for the Best Microneedling Aftercare:
- CLEAN – Use a gentle cleanser and tepid water to cleanse the face for 72 hours post-treatment, and gently dry the treated skin. Always make sure your hands are clean when touching the treated area, and do not use a Clarisonic or other powered cleansing brushes for at least one week after your treatment.
- HEAL – We recommend serum antioxidants post-treatment, as its properties are ideal to help heal the skin by soothing and lessening irritation.
- HYDRATE – Following your Rejuvapen treatment, your skin may feel drier than normal. Hyaluronic Acid is an ideal ingredient you can use to hydrate and restore the skin back to perfect balance.
- STIMULATE – In the days following your Rejuvapen treatment, and as the skin starts to regenerate, collagen-stimulating peptides are ideal to maximize the effects of the stimulation already started by the microneedling.
- MAKEUP – We recommend you do not apply makeup for 24 to 72 hours after the procedure. In addition, do not apply any makeup with a makeup brush, especially if the brush is not clean.
- PROTECT – Immediately after the procedure, your skin professional will apply a broad spectrum UVA/UVB, SPF 25 or greater sunscreen to your skin. We recommend a chemical-free sunscreen. Keep in mind that you should continue to use a sunscreen everyday—not only the days following your procedure—as part of your skincare routine to protect your skin from sun damage and premature aging.
Additional Microneedling Aftercare Precautions
- To ensure the proper healing environment, do NOT use any Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Beta Hydroxy Acid, Retinol (Vitamin A), Vitamin C (in a low pH formula) scrubs or anything perceived as “active” skincare for one week post treatment.
- Do not use any powered cleansing brushes like Clarisonic for one week post treatment.
- Avoid intentional and direct sunlight for 72 hours.
- No tanning beds.
- Always wear sunscreen.
- Do not go swimming for at least 72 hours post-treatment.
- Do not exercise or participate in strenuous activity for the first 72 hours post-treatment. Sweating and gym environments in general are harmful and filled with bacteria, which may cause adverse reactions in your skin.
WIFH Microneedling Treatment Kit
At WIFH, we provide a post-treatment kit that we recommend using for 72 hours after your microneedling treatment for best results. Most facilities probably offer a similar treatment kit, but you may be required to purchase the kit, whereas our kit comes with the procedure. The kit is made up of products made by iS Clinical, including: a gentle cleansing complex, Sheald recovery balm, and copper firming mist.
We hope you have learned more about Microneedling aftercare and what to expect after your Rejuvapen treatment at WIFH! Visit our office for your free consultation to find out if Rejuvapen is the right procedure to meet your skincare goals.