Everything You Need to Know About Dermal & Lip Fillers
Dermal fillers have quickly become one of the most popular cosmetic treatments around. These injectables tackle a variety of common concerns to deliver fuller, more rejuvenated skin and facial features.
Most dermal fillers are made with hyaluronic acid to enhance specific areas of the face. Dermal filler is much different than any neurotoxin such as Botox or Dysport, as it does not affect muscle motion. Instead, it is injected under the surface of the skin to restore volume loss and smooth fine lines.
Dermal fillers are used to enhance many areas of the face.
- Nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines
Whether you want to give your cheeks or lips more fullness or reduce the signs of aging, dermal fillers can help you achieve your aesthetic goals.
Benefits of Dermal & Lip Fillers
There’s a reason that dermal fillers have earned such popularity and continue to be one of the most sought-after cosmetic treatments. Some of the most notable benefits of injectable fillers include:
- Minimally invasive
- Long-lasting, natural results
- Reduced visible signs of aging
- Quick, straightforward treatment
- Better facial volume and contours
- Rejuvenated, glowing complexion
How Do Dermal & Lip Fillers Work?
Dermal fillers help target areas that need more volume and fill in skin lines and creases. Lip filler is a type of dermal filler that is injected into your lips to make them look fuller.
When injected, the gel-like product plumps the skin from within. Several filler products are available to treat different areas of the face, and most of them are made from hyaluronic acid.
Hyaluronic acid is a substance naturally produced by the human body. It has many jobs, including acting as a lubricant in the eyes, joints, and other tissues. Cosmetically, hyaluronic acid helps keep skin looking hydrated and supple.
The Art of Lip Enhancement with Lip Fillers
Lip fillers, a subset of dermal fillers, are specifically designed to augment lips, providing volume, definition, and symmetry. Hyaluronic acid-based fillers offer natural-looking results, transforming thin or asymmetrical lips into plump, youthful features.
The Different Types of Lip Fillers
Knowing the different types of lip filler options is crucial for receiving optimal results. One brand of lip filler could work better for one person than the other.
- Restylane Silk – Silk is a lip filler made by Galderma, the makers of Restylane(r). It is the first FDA-approved product for lip augmentation procedures. Silk’s formula of lip filler typically lasts up to six months.
- Volbella – Part of the Juvederm family of dermal fillers, Volbella is FDA-approved and helps enhance the lips while also decreasing the appearance of fine lines around the mouth. Volbella has been touted to last up to twelve months or longer when injected into the lips.
- Kysse – Another member of the Restylane(R) brand family of fillers, is the first lip filler designed with XpresHAn Technology™. This technology helps keep the lips flexible and soft, offering natural-looking volume. Kysse is proven to last up to one year following injection.
- Juvederm – Juvederm Ultra XC is one of the most popular brands of lip filler and is used by the infamous Kylie Jenner. The results from Juvederm can last up to six to twelve months.
It’s also important to note that despite some lip filler brands claiming to last up to a year, you will see a decrease in lip size before this time. That is because the filler slowly metabolizes.
Lip Filler Myths
There are some misconceptions about lip fillers that give the general public the wrong idea of how they look and work. Here are a few lip filler myths we would like to debunk.
- “They make your lips feel weird.” – The Truth: When A knowledgeable professional injects hyaluronic acid lip fillers, the final result feels natural; this is also because modern fillers integrate with the tissue.
- “Lip injections look obvious.” – The Truth: Bad lip injection techniques such as overfilling make lip injections look obvious. Proper techniques done by a knowledgeable professional will make your lips appear fuller while still maintaining the natural shape and look.
- “Lip fillers are permanent.” – The Truth: Some lip fillers can last up to one year, but none of them last forever. You will have to receive lip implants for a permanent result.
Lip fillers can seem a lot less intimidating when we get rid of these misconceptions.
Getting Ready For A Dermal & Lip Filler Treatment
In the week leading up to your dermal filler treatment, it’s important to take some extra steps to ensure the best possible results and minimize any potential side effects. Here’s a guide on what to do in the week before your appointment:
- Three to five days before having a facial filler patients should avoid medications like aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oils, and vitamin E as they can increase the risk of bleeding and thus bruising.
- Limit alcohol a couple of days in advance, again as this may cause increased bleeding and bruising.
- If patients are on a prescribed anticoagulant, they should consult with their prescribing physician before having a facial filler.
- Notify the injector of any autoimmune disorders that might be a contraindication.
What to Expect During Your Dermal & Lip Filler Appointment
On the day of your appointment, we’ll start by applying a numbing cream to all target areas to help ensure maximum comfort during treatment. We’ll allow 15 to 20 minutes for the cream to numb the area thoroughly before we begin.
During your treatment, we’ll carefully inject small doses of filler throughout the treatment area to give you the best possible results. Once we’re done, we will give you aftercare instructions to promote healing. These often include no lying down for a few hours and no exercise or strenuous exercise for at least 24 hours.
Treatment times are usually quick. Depending on how many areas you’re treating, you can expect your appointment to last from 30 to 60 minutes. Many patients visit us during their lunch breaks. You’ll be able to return to your regular daily routine after your appointment.
Results from Dermal & Lip Fillers
Results from dermal fillers are noticeable almost immediately after treatment. Final results usually take about a week or two as the product is settling into your skin.
One of the most common questions we receive is, “How long do dermal fillers last?” The answer is usually, “It depends.” Each person’s body is different, which means that fillers will react differently in every patient. Over time, your body metabolizes the filler. As such, the more slowly your body metabolizes the product, the longer your results will last.
Generally, results from dermal fillers last from six months to a year, but for some patients, they remain even longer. You can continue to get dermal fillers to maintain your results. Results can be customized to your liking during each appointment.
Can Hyaluronic Acid-Based Dermal Fillers Be Removed?
Yes! Some patients contact us inquiring about removing dermal fillers. While the product naturally dissolves over time, it is possible to reverse it. A product called hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve dermal fillers. Should you experience any concerns with your fillers, we can discuss removing them.
What Are The Risks/Side Effects?
Filler injections produce a very low occurrence of adverse events. The most commonly reported side effect of any filler is temporary redness, swelling, and or bruising at the injection site.
Complimentary Consultations for Dermal & Lip Fillers in Atlanta
We believe in the importance of consultations because they allow us ample time to get to know you, your concerns, and your desired results. During your consultation, we’ll examine the area you’d like to treat and determine which filler products will give you the best outcome. At the consultation patients will meet with one of our advanced injectors to discuss which filler option is best for them.