Frequently Asked Questions
- Q1 ) What is Juvederm XC?
- Q2 ) What is Juvederm XC used for?
- Q3 ) Is Juvederm XC safe?
- Q4 ) How long does Juvederm XC last?
- Q5 ) Is Juvederm XC the same as Voluma?
Q1 ) What is Juvederm XC?
Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid-based cosmetic filler used to fill and plump those moderate to severe lines around the nose and mouth (parentheses), and the marionette lines (the lines from the corners of the mouth to the chin).1 These lines are injected with Juvederm to restore volume loss and smooth away the unwanted lines. The results are immediate and can take years off of the face. Juvederm is also a great option for adding volume to the lips. Hyaluronic acid is naturally occurring in our bodies so this filler provides a natural look and feel.
Q2 ) What is Juvederm XC used for?
Juvederm XC is used to smooth away lines around the nose and mouth (parentheses), the marionette lines (the lines from the corners of the mouth to the chin). It can also be used to augment the lips.2
Q3 ) Is Juvederm XC safe?
Because hyaluronic acid is naturally occurring there is a low risk of side effects. The most commonly reported side effect of Juvederm is temporary redness and swelling at the injection site.3
Any time a needle is being inserted in the skin there is always the risk of bruising. We advise patients if they are preparing for a special event to have their filler at least two weeks ahead of time in case they experience swelling or bruising. If patients experience swelling or bruising it typically resolves in three to seven days.
Other less common risks can include:
- Redness, itching, firmness and lumpiness in the injected area.
- Do not use if pregnant or breastfeeding
- Patients using substances that reduce coagulation, such as aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may experience increased bleeding with resultant bruising at the injection sites
- Vascular occlusion
Q4 ) How long does Juvederm XC last?
Juvederm XC can last 6-12 months. The length of duration will depend on how quickly the body metabolizes the product.
Q5 ) Is Juvederm XC the same as Voluma?
Both Juvederm XC and Voluma are cosmetic facial fillers. Voluma is designed to restore volume loss in the mid-line face (cheeks). It doesn’t bond with the water in the skin allowing it to lift and contour the area. Juvederm is designed for the lower face to smooth and fill lines. It does bond with water for a plumping effect.
- Ballin AC (2013). Long-term efficacy, safety and durability of Juvéderm® XC. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology. 2013; 5: Pages 183-189. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23946665
- Fagien S (2013). Juvederm ultra for lip enhancement: an open-label, multicenter study. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2013; 33(3): Pages 414-420. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23515385
- Dayan S (2015). Safety and Effectiveness of the Hyaluronic Acid Filler, HYC-24L, for Lip and Perioral Augmentation. Dermatological Surgery. 2015; 14: Pages S293-S301 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26618456