Getting Dermaplaning in Atlanta
What is Dermaplaning ?
Exfoliation is an important part of any skin care regimen. Allowing dead skin to accumulate on makes the skin look dull and dry. It can also define fine lines and wrinkles and even cause congestion in the pores. There are many ways to exfoliate the skin, one of them being dermaplaning1.
Dermaplaning is unique in that it not only removes the dead skin it also removes the fine little hairs that cover the face2.
Dermaplaning can only be performed by a licensed professional as it uses a surgical blade to remove both the skin and hair, leaving patients with silky, smooth, radiant skin.
Dermaplaning also pairs well with a number of skin procedures and treatments such as Oxygen facial, VI peel or any chemical peel, HydraFacial, Affirm laser and IPL.
1. Pryor L (2011). Dermaplaning, topical oxygen, and photodynamic therapy: a systematic review of the literature. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 2011; 35(6): Pages 1151-1159. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21533984
2. Townsend T (2017). The Use of Advance Dermaplaning in Clinical Skincare and Treatment, Clinical Dermatology Research Journal. 2019; https://www.scitechnol.com/peer-review/the-use-of-advance-dermaplaning-in-clinical-skin-care-and-treatment-mXJp.pdf
3. Spira M (1977). Treatment of acne pitting and scarring. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1977; 60(1): Pages 38-44. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20607937
How Does Dermaplaning Work?
Dermaplaning utilizes a surgical blade or scalpel to remove the fine, vellus hair along with the outer layer of dry, dead skin. How is this different from shaving you ask? Dermaplaning gives you a much closer shave than a razor can provide. The scalpel cuts the hair at an angle instead of blunting the end like with a razor. This is important because when the hair begins to grow back it isn’t scratchy like razor stubble but rather the hairs are immediately soft.
By removing the hair and dead skin it allows your skin care products to penetrate better which allow for better results. You will also find that your make-up will go on flawlessly.
This is a perfect treatment if you are getting ready for a special event or as part of your ongoing maintenance program.
What are the Risks/Side Effects?
This procedure carries minimal risk. The worst that could happen would be to suffer a small knick or cut during treatment. Even if this were to happen you likely wouldn’t be aware of it as the blade is so sharp.
Dermaplaning is safe for pregnant women.
Preparing for Dermaplaning
The Week Before Your Procedure
- 3-5 days before your dermaplaning treatment it is advised to stop using exfoliating products, acids and bleaching creams/products.
- Discontinue retinols and tretinoin (Retin-A) at least 12 hours in advance (day before).
- If you have had recent sun exposure be sure all redness or sunburns have completely healed before having dermaplaning.
- Do not wax or have a skin treatment like a chemical peel or IPL 2 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Dermaplaning cannot be done if you have active acne, cold sore or open lesions.
The Day of Your Treatment
There is no real prep involved on the day of your treatment. It is always preferred that you come in with a clean face (no make-up), however if you are coming from work, we will have you cleanse your face once you arrive.
What to Expect During the Procedure
Your skin will be thoroughly cleansed and prepped for treatment. A sterile blade will be opened, and your treatment will begin. Once all of the hair and skin has been removed, your skin will be cleansed again, and your aesthetician will select and apply a cocktail of products to nourish your fresh skin.
There is no discomfort at all associated with this treatment. This treatment is very relaxing.
Each treatment takes approximately 30 minutes.
If you are having microblading to get rid of the peach fuzz or fine blonde hairs on your face you can return as the hair begins to grow back. That could be as frequently as every 2-4 weeks. If you are using microblading for exfoliation we recommend every 4-6 weeks.
Dermaplaning Recovery Time
There is no recovery time with this treatment. Your skin will not appear at all irritated. You can apply make-up immediately.
Because this treatment offers aggressive exfoliation, we recommend not using at home exfoliators including a Clarisonic or powered cleansing brush for 3-5 days post treatment.
Your products will absorb so much better after dermaplaning so take this time to nourish your skin and always wear sunscreen.
We believe consultations are very important when considering any skin treatment. Our consultations give us the opportunity to get to know you and understand exactly what you are looking to achieve with your skin. At your consultation you will meet with one medical aestheticians who will put together a treatment plan along with product recommendations for you to consider.
The cost of Dermaplaning is based on whether you are doing it as a stand alone treatment or an add-on to one of our other facial treatments.
The cost varies from $50 as an add-on to a facial treatment to $150 as a stand alone treatment.
Does dermaplaning hurt?
Does dermaplaning help with acne?
Does dermaplaning help wrinkles?
Does dermaplaning help with melasma?
4. Becker S (2017). [Melasma : An update on the clinical picture, treatment, and prevention]. Der Hautarzt. 2017; 68(2): Pages 120-126. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28084498
Does dermaplaning cause razor burn?
Will my hair grow back darker and/or thicker after dermaplaning?
What is the difference between dermaplaning and other exfoliation techniques?
*Results vary from person to person and are not guaranteed