miraDry® for Feet and Hands

Due to the efficacy of miraDry® for treating excessive underarm sweating, patients frequently inquire about whether miraDry® can be used to treat hyperhidrosis of the hands and feet. Currently the answer to this question is no, it cannot. Below are more details on why miraDry® cannot treat the hands and feet areas.

FDA Approval & Device Design

miraDry® is currently only FDA approved to treat hyperhidrosis of the underarms1, and the current miraDry® hand-piece is specifically designed to fit against and apply light suction to the skin in the underarm area. The skin skin texture of the hands and feet areas differ from the underarm area, and the current design shape does not allow for adequate suction, preventing an effective treatment of the hands and feet.

Microwave Energy’s Potential to Damage Vital Structures

Unlike the underarms, the hands and feet have vital structures that are too close to the skin, which leaves them especially vulnerable to injury, including:

• arteries
  • nerve endings
  • tendons
  • blood vessels

These structures are closer to the surface of the skin on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet than they are in the underarm area, and could be damaged if the current miraDry® device were used for treatment.

Treatment Options for Hands & Feet

For now, other treatment options available for excessive sweating in the hands and feet include topical medications, oral medications, surgery, and Botox® injections.

Citations
1. Melkerson, Mark. “Re: K103014.” Department of Health & Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. 20 January 2011. Letter. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf10/K103014.pdf
About the Author

Charlotte Kulkin, RN, CNS, FNP-BC

Charlotte Kulkin, RN, CNS, FNP-BC, is a Family Nurse Practitioner licensed by the State of Georgia, and the Georgia Composite Medical Board. Charlotte has more than 30 years of experience in primary care, critical care, and cardiac rehabilitation. She currently serves as WIFH’s miraDry® specialist, performing over 600 miraDry® procedures since 2015.

81 Comments

Karla

Really hope this is true and sooner then later. I been having sweating hands and feet my whole life and this sounds amazing and a dream come true .

Davin

Im going to have my axillary done next week. The word is that hand and feet are next. All who is suffering needs this !! including myself

Nasir

I really really hope that one day this technology becomes available for hands and feet and that would be dream come true. There are a lot of people who suffering from these conditions. I have had excessive sweating since I was little boy. My Hands and feet sweat a lot.

Gabe

almost 2018 … really hope it will be available soon … been waiting for a long time now.
🙂

Nancy

Need it for my hands, feet, and other areas. Hope the rumors are true and we hear about it fast. 2018 is in a couple of days….

Lindsay Spires

I wish we had an update. We have been in touch with the company and as of last week there are no updates to report. As soon as we have ANY update we will definitely post. We have so many patients that are eagerly awaiting this procedure.

Jim Kurczeski

I also am interested in treatment for plantar and palmar hyperhidrosis as I suffer from very severe symptoms. Please advise when treatment becomes available.

Jim

Nancy

Hi Lindsay,

Any news on miradry for hands and feet, groin, and buttocks?

I am based in New York.

Lindsay Spires

We are anxious for this too, but as far as we know there is no new news on this. It is our understanding they are working on the right method to anesthetize the area in order to administer the treatment. Stay tuned as soon we know anything we will let you know.

Vivian James

hey Lindsay,

i heared that there was a palmar and plantar miramar themed confrence last month. As far as i got it right, they presented the pre- production model in this conference… if there is a pre- production model and i know there are anesthestists, who are capable of numbing the palmar areas… even though you have to be very suptile… i don‘t see why the models can‘t be launched…?

kind regards

Vivian

I am based in Germany

Vivian James

hey Lindsay,

kind regards

Vivian

I am based in Germany

Danielle

Any update on Miradry for hands? What is your estimate of time? Are they working on it at least?

Saed

Hi Lindsay,
Any new updates?
and I wanted to ask since it’s taking that long and I can’t stand my palms sweating anymore as they’re long passed the dripping point, what might be the side effects if I used Miradry treatment for underarm area on my palms?

Lindsay Spires

I wish we had an update, but we haven’t heard anything to date. It’s our understand that they are working on how to numb this area in order to perform the treatment effectively. We will post as soon as we know anything.

samuel

I can’t wait for that day, my hands and feets will feel dry. I have no partner now because of this disease as every girl seems to complain about it. Keep me posted

Mirza Kashif Beg

I am 25 years old boy. I am suffering from Anxiety Neurosis & Hyperhydrosis Hand Feet & Under Arm . Have you Permanente solutions.please help me.From INDIA.

Lindsay Spires

Hyperhydrosis is a very common problem. miraDry does an amazing job in reducing the sweat and odor glands in the underarm area. At this time it is only approved for use in the underarm area, however we are hopefully that it will soon be available to treat the hands and feet. The results from miraDry are permanent and our patients typically achieve 75-90% reduction in sweat with just one treatment. If you are in the States we welcome you to visit our office, if not I would try and locate a physician nearest you that performs miraDry. We love this procedure and believe in its results. It is truly life changing. We wish you luck.

Michael

Is it being tested for hands and feet at this time? I know there’s no update, but was just wandering if research is being done or if tests are being conducted for FDA or if there is a timeline?

Lindsay Spires

We know for sure miraDry is working on making this treatment available for hands and feet. The issue seems to be how to effectively anesthetize the hands and feet in order to deliver the energy necessary to suppress the glands. These areas are particularly delicate as so many nerves come down from the wrist and ankles and they aren’t located that far below the skin surface. It needs to be properly numbed, but that the numbing wears off quickly so as you can walk and use your hands following the treatment. I know they are actively working on this and safety is at the top of the agenda.

Kostas

These are great news.
We are patiently waiting for this treatment.
I used miradry for underarms and it is amazing !!! Almost 100% elimination . It works perfect.

If it can be done for feet and hands it will be pure magic ! fingers crossed.

I don’t have that big of a problem so miradry for underarms worked almost 100% .
I mostly sweat when I am very anxious and stuff but yea I hope we get this fast.

Noemi Gernyi-Cser

Dear Lindsay,
I’m interested too until the treatment for feet. Please keep me posted.

Lindsay Spires

The last we heard was they were working on the best way to numb the hands for treatment. This is a particularly delicate area with lots of nerves, veins, tendons, etc. So anesthetizing the area must be precise and the feeling needs to come back fairly quickly so as you have use of your hands. I know they are still working on it. It will be amazing once they have it perfected.

Konstantinos

Lindsay hands are perfect to find a treatment like miradry but in my opinion feet are much more important than the hands and they should pay attention more for the feet.
Do you think we will have a treatment for feet in the upcoming years ?

Lindsay Spires

It’s my understanding they are working to be able to treat both the hands and feet with miraDry. These areas are particularly delicate based on the number of nerves bundled in the hands and feet. The hold up seems to be how to numb the area for treatment to be able to effectively treat the area. The block would also need to have a short duration so that patients would have immediate use of their hands and feet following the treatment. I am holding out for treatment for my feet too!

Rose

Konstantinos – You can’t say that feet are ‘more important’ than hands. If you have palmar hyperhidrosis you will know how debilitating it is, as you use your hands for everything that you do and when they are dripping with sweat it is not only very embarrassing, but it can have such a negative effect to your confidence and mental well being. Please be respectful to other people and other conditions before you make such comments. Hopefully there will be a treatment soon for BOTH HANDS AND FEET.

Mathias

in the last weeks and sent and received emails from miradry in which they indicate that no studies are currently being done, apparently they are kidding us, we are in the middle of 2018, there I read the stupid that the feet are more important than hands, it is ridiculous to hear this, we use our hands for everything for personal contact, to socialize, to work, to study in order for all the anxiety disorders that are suffered when carrying hyperhidrosis occurs precisely because the evasion, retraction and above all the fear when interacting with other people, it is precisely the hands that face all this, we should mention this to syntra miradry to accentuate all their capacity and time to the realization of the technology for the hands, go for One area at a time is the best, although sincerely I am seriously beginning to doubt this, I have a lot of friendship with sympathetic nerve surgeons, surgeons who do ETS, and they mention to me mutually that if a device appears that definitively alleviates the hyper-sweating in the palms of the hands, they would practically remain without a great income of money that provides them, all the surgeries that they practice daily to treat palmar hyperhidrosis, even some of them tells me that they would be without their higher income or maybe without work, I sincerely talked with one of them told me that medicineIt is a world in which you are looking to make a lot of money, and you would not be surprised if the surgeons who practice this type of operations have some kind of communication or reach an agreement so that this does not happen, I hope it is not, but I am starting to draw my conclusions, I am operated on ETS, with an effectiveness of 90% sweat reduction, I never had compensatory sweating or any other effect described by the literature of the surgery, but even so the palms still bother me for certain things , I sympathize with you, because if I have 90% of the sweating relieved I still have that feeling that can sweat me more, I can not imagine the people who still have their hands

Giving up hope

The hands, hands down, are the absolute WORST part to be effected with hyperhidrosis and should be the main focus in next step treatments from miradry. Everything in this world you do and touch with your hands. Sweaty feet you can hide, sweating arm pits won’t keep you from being able to touch, hold, objects or work etc. I have been suffering with excessively sweaty hands for my entire life and it is ruining my life to the point where I’m contemplating suicide. I cannot work, I cannot go out, I cannot touch anything or anyone, hold anything, drive, or even sit with my hands on my lap. And the healthcare system doesn’t see HH as serious or debilitating condition, so I can’t even get disability. I’m 32 and single living at home without income, because I can’t find a job that can cater to my sweating hands. I’m going to end up homeless with no way to work and end up killing myself. I have no money and my insurance won’t cover botox, ionto, or even the deodorant (which I’ve bought and doesn’t work). Please God help me…please…find a way to provide miradry for the hands…I honestly don’t give a rat’s a** how bad it will hurt. I don’t care if they can’t numb me…I need help. I need this to stop-I can’t live like this!

Luke

Is the issue that the hands can’t be numbed in order to properly treat this?

I’m desperately waiting for this treatment for my Hands/Feet. Just scheduled the appointment for my armpits.

I started a business and customers think I’m nervous because my hands sweat so damn much.

Please MiraDry, you are going to reshape the way this issue is treated.

Daniel Haller

He Luke…..i have the same problem….try iontophrese it works 100% but you need a lot of information, because you need a good machine,,,,the right level of electricity and min. sessions of 15 …every day!! for questions…you can write me best regards

Hannah

I hope they find the solution to numbing the hands soon, I’ve suffered from hyperhydrosis of the hands and feet for my whole life and this sounds like an amazing solution. Fingers crossed!!

Mary Tegan

Hi,
Is there any further news on this treatment for hands? We’ve tried everything for my son to no avail!😢….Praying it’s available soon!
Regards
Mary

Megan Richardson

Hi Lindsay, any news? I was told the trials stopped. This would truly be a game changer if this technology could be provided. I’m seriously suffering.

Megan

Lindsay, I know you much be overwhelmed with everyone asking just about the same question, but it has been a while since your last response. Have you heard anything else from the company?

Matias

people seem to be too anxious about having asked one by one there are some of this forum that ask at once the solution for hands, feet, English and buttocks, what would be serious to let them focus and put all their effort in one area and so go forward, I heard you say that you should focus with your feet? It really is so silly to hear this, we use our hands to do everything from greeting to signing documents to fingerprinting, caressing etc etc, it is more the hands need a 100% drying compared to the other areas, the other areas of the body enough they can be fine with an 80 or 85% decrease in sweat

Lindsay Spires

It’s our understanding that research on developing the use for miraDry on hands and feet has been suspended at this time. This is disappointing news for many, including us. They haven’t abandoned the idea all together, but until they can come up with a viable and effective way to safely numb the area the treatment just wouldn’t be tolerable.

Lindsay Spires

Lindsay Spires

Konstantinos

Yea I am sorry I didn’t mean to insult anyone about the feet vs the hands procedure.
In fact for me its more of a stress disorder because I am getting stressed and then I sweat .
When I am calm nothing sweats in me so I can drive , work etc .
But in situations where im getting stressed I sweat like crazy.
My number one problem was the armpits where with miradry Its the most amazing thing I have ever tried.
I have like 90% sweat reduction even when I am stressed.

I said the feet instead of the hands before when I am in the airports for example and im getting anxious about missing a flight etc, I have to carry extra socks on my bag to change during the flight because my socks are too sweaty.

Thats my main issue. I definitely dont have an excessive hyperhidrosis problem , but for people that are getting stressed very easily it can be a problem because you sweat a lot as well.

Anyways , no disrespect for anyone. I hope they will give importance to this matter and finally give a treatment for hands and feet as well.

Botox is working amazing for the feet for me just like the miradry the problem is that you have to do it every 5-6 months and it is very expensive.

As for the miradry I recommend it to everyone.
Its amazing , you dont sweat at all even after getting stressed .
I used to drive in the summer and my armpits on a hot and stressful day were sweating like crazy and now its like nothing ..almost 90% reduction…plus you can wear shirts without getting embarrassed

Ben

I think its pretty clear there is a Huge market for Hands and Feet Hyperhidrosis sufferers. for all of us its hell, We encourage Miradry to hurry it up, i already heard a person that went through a trial and his treatment was successful, only issue was the pain. but for all of us pain is temporary, so please find a way to bring it to market.

Joe

If numbing is the only hold up, I can deal with the pain. I am sure others can too. Have you ever tried ionstrophesis? Ever had 20 Botox injections in your palm? These procedures are very uncomfortable and some would say intolorable. When you suffer from this, it is amazing what you can tolerate! I do want to mention that after trying everything but surgery, taking Oxybutynin 5mg twice a day works best for me. It isn’t a cure, but I would say that I have a 80% reduction and works much better than Botox or ionstrophesis.

Laura

Please keep me updated if ever miradry becomes available for hands and feet! I am in process of this for underarms then going to try ionstrophesis machine, really hope this helps me

Demi

Curious why general anesthesia couldn’t be used in place of finding something to numb the area?

Lindsay Spires

The use of general anesthesia would increase the cost of the procedure tremendously and would most likely require it to be performed in a surgery center or hospital.

Karolina

So? I’m sure many people would go for it anyway, and maybe even insurance would cover it. ETS surgeries are quite pricey too but still affordable.