Frequently Asked Questions
- Q1 ) Who is a Good Candidate?
- Q2 ) Who is not a good candidate?
- Q3 ) How many treatments will I need?
- Q4 ) Will it hurt?
- Q5 ) How old do scars need to be before they can be treated?
- Q6 ) Can I have a microneedling treatment if I have a history of cold sores?
- Q7 ) Will microneedling effect my Botox or fillers?
- Q8 ) How soon after my treatment can I exercise?
- Q9 ) When can I put on makeup?
- Q10 ) How much downtime is there?
Q1 ) Who is a Good Candidate?
Rejuvapen is indicated to treat the following:
- Skin Rejuvenation – Tightens & firms skin on the face and body
- Fine lines & moderate wrinkles
- Acne scarring
- Stretch marks
- Traumatic scars
- Epidermal pigment
- Burn wounds
- Mild rosacea (vascular only)
Q2 ) Who is not a good candidate?
Rejuvapen is contraindicated for patients with the following:
- Active acne
- Raised keloid scars
- A history of kelois scars, scleroderma, collagen vascular diseases or cardiac abnormalities
- Actinic keratosis
- Skin cancer
- Sebaceous hyperplasia
- An active bacterial or fungal infection
- Woman who are pregnant or nursing
- Accutane within the last 6 months
Q3 ) How many treatments will I need?
The number of treatments you will need will depend on what your goal is and what area we’re treating (face or body). For wrinkles and facial rejuvenation 4-6 treatments are needed. Acne scars require 6-8 treatments, depending on depth and severity. Décolleté will need 4-8.
Q4 ) Will it hurt?
No. To make your treatment as easy and stress free as possible, we schedule you to arrive 1 hour before your actual treatment time. We will apply a prescription strength topical numbing cream to the treatment area/areas which will remain on your face for the next hour. Some of our patients use this time to work, read, watch videos, or even take a nap!
Q5 ) How old do scars need to be before they can be treated?
Scars must be at least 1 year old before we will needle them. This is because scars go through many changes in the first year after an injury. A scar that at first appears very big, discolored and uneven can change overtime to a scar that is much less conspicuous. The same is true for stretch marks.
Q6 ) Can I have a microneedling treatment if I have a history of cold sores?
Absolutely! Because microneedling may trigger an outbreak, we will prescribe you an anti-viral medication which you will start taking 3 days prior to your treatment.
Q7 ) Will microneedling effect my Botox or fillers?
We do not perform Rejuvapen within 2 weeks of a Botox treatment to avoid affecting the distribution beyond the injection site. In order to avoid an inflammatory reaction we will not perform Rejuvapen until 2 weeks after having fillers injected.
Q8 ) How soon after my treatment can I exercise?
Q9 ) When can I put on makeup?
Q10 ) How much downtime is there?
- Day 1: Erythema and red appearance and severity will depend upon how aggressive your treatment was.
- Day 2: Some red or pink may persist, like a moderate sunburn. Some people may experience more noticeable swelling on the second day.
- Day 3: Skin can be pink or normal color. Swelling subsides. Because everyone is different, it’s impossible to predict exactly how long your redness will last, but most patients return to work the next day. To ensure that your skin heals properly it is extremely important that you follow your home care instructions. Your clinician will go over what products are safe and advisable for you to use post treatment. Over the next 5-7 days, your skin may feel tight, dry, and slightly more sensitive. This is because it is busy healing the wounds that we created. Your skin will need to be hydrated frequently during this time. We strongly recommend that you use IS Clinical Hydra-Cool serum, which contains concentrated hyaluronic acid, to give your skin the hydration it needs in order to successfully form new, more youthful looking tissue.