Getting Juvederm Voluma in Atlanta
What is Juvederm Voluma?
The treatment is capable of addressing naturally poorly defined cheekbones, and restoring volume loss due to aging.
Virtually anyone with volume loss in their midface (including cheeks and cheekbones) is a candidate for this product. Juvederm Voluma’s results are instant and can last up to two years.
Benefits of Choosing an Allergan Diamond Provider
WIFH is proud to be recognized as a Diamond Partner by Allergan, the maker of many of our most popular skin products and treatments, including Botox, Juvederm, Volbella, Voluma and Latisse.
Diamond status is a distinction earned by just 4% of Allergan providers in the country. Our patients return time and time again to our trusted expert injectors and specially priced Allergan products – a perk of our Diamond status.
1. Baumann L (2015). Volumizing Hyaluronic Acid Filler for Midface Volume Deficit: Results After Repeat Treatment. Dermatologic Surgery. 2015; 41 Suppl: Pages S284-S292. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26618455
How Does Juvederm Voluma Work?
Voluma is approved by the FDA to restore age-related volume loss in the cheeks. Unlike other fillers commonly used to treat the midface (like Sculptra), Juvederm Voluma is a hyaluronic acid (HA) filler2. HA fillers are made from long chains of sugars that occur naturally in the skin3.
Voluma is unique in that the HA is cross-linked through a process called Vycross that helps provide an excellent lifting capacity4. Unlike the other Hyaluronic Acid-based fillers that are injected subcutaneously (between the skin layers), Voluma is injected on top of the bone. This allows it to build volume upward, lifting the cheek.
Typically, most patients will need one syringe in each cheek for the best results. Patients will see results instantly and they will last for a long time.
This cross-linking helps to prevent the product from breaking down, reportedly the results last up to two years. And since it is a HA filler, it can be molded and shaped after injecting.
2. Keni SP (2007). Sculptra (injectable poly-L-lactic acid). Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. 2007; 15(1): Pages 91-97. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17317560
3. Philipp-Dormston WG (2014). A prospective, observational study of the volumizing effect of open-label aesthetic use of Juvéderm® VOLUMA® with Lidocaine in mid-face area. Journal of Cosmetic Laser Therapy. 2014; 16(4): Pages 171-179. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24689357
4. Calvisi, L (2017). Rejuvenation of the perioral and lip regions with two new dermal fillers: The Italian experience with Vycross™ Technology. Journal of Cosmetic Laser Therapy. 2017; 19(1): Pages 54-58. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27762646
What are the Risks/Side Effects?
Based on clinical studies, Voluma injections produce a very low occurrence of adverse events. The most commonly reported side effect of Voluma is temporary redness, swelling and tenderness at the injection site5.
Any time a needle is being inserted in the skin there is always the risk of bruising. We advise patients if they are preparing for a special event to have their filler at least two weeks ahead of time in case they experience swelling or bruising. If patients experience swelling or bruising it typically resolves in three-seven days.
Other less common risks can include:
- Redness, itching, firmness and lumpiness in the injected area.
- Do not use if pregnant or breastfeeding
- Patients using substances that reduce coagulation, such as aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may experience increased bleeding with resultant bruising at the injection sites.
- Vascular occlusion
5. Goodman GJ (2015). Current Concepts in the Use of Voluma, Volift, and Volbella. Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. 2015; 136(5): Pages 139S-148S. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26441094
Preparing for Juvederm Voluma
The Week Before the Procedure
- Three to five days before having a facial filler, patients should avoid medications like aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oils, and vitamin E as they can increase the risk of bleeding and thus bruising.
- Limit alcohol consumption a couple of days in advance, as this may cause increased bleeding and bruising.
- If patients are on a prescribed anticoagulant, please consult with the prescribing physician before having a facial filler.
- Notify the injector of any autoimmune disorders that might be a contraindication.
The Day of Treatment
There is no real prep involved on the day of treatment. It is always preferred that patients come in with a clean face (no make-up), however if patients are coming from work, we will cleanse the area to be injected.If patients typically exercise, we recommend doing that before coming in for the appointment as vigorous exercise is not recommended for the rest of the day.
What to Expect During the Procedure
A numbing cream will be applied to the area of the face to be injected. This will remain on the skin for approximately 15-20 minutes before the treatment begins. The numbing cream allows for additional comfort during treatment. Voluma also contains lidocaine (a numbing agent) which provides for additional comfort during the injecting process.
Once the area is numb, the cream will be removed and the area will be cleansed.
Voluma will be injected into the cheeks and midline face. The injector will periodically pinch and massage the area to mold the filler, creating beautifully contoured cheeks. Out of all of the fillers available, patients get the least amount of swelling with Voluma, although there is some, it is not significant.
Periodically during this process the injector will have the patient use a mirror to inspect the progress and to get input that the correction is to the patient’s satisfaction.
Once complete, the injector will again cleanse the injection sites and Arnica will be applied. Arnica helps to prevent bruising from occurring. Patients will also be offered an ice pack to reduce swelling.
The numbing cream used prior to treatment is very effective. In addition, Voluma contains lidocaine, a numbing agent to provide even more comfort during treatment. Patients will feel pressure, but this treatment is surprisingly comfortable. The process is quick. Patients are surprised at how refreshed their faces look, and as previously mentioned, it’s subtle yet dramatic.
Treatment time takes approximately one hour, including numbing time.
Voluma can last 24 months or more.
Juvederm Voluma Recovery Time
Recovery is minimal. Expect mild swelling. Bruises can show up hours or even a day or two later. It is recommended to ice the area on and off for the first hour which will help reduce swelling and minimize the chance of bruising.
The next day patients could experience mild tenderness in the injected area.
Swelling and/or bruising usually resolves within three to seven days.
It is always preferred that patients wait until the next day to apply make-up but if that isn’t possible, we recommend waiting at least three hours before applying.
Because patients can experience swelling for up to two weeks post injection, remember to plan your appointment accordingly, especially for patients who have an important event coming up.
Because you can experience swelling for up to 2 weeks post injection remember to plan your appointments accordingly especially if you have an important event coming up.
Juvederm Voluma Consultations
We believe consultations are very important when considering an injectable and/or facial filler. Our consultations give us the opportunity to get to know each patient and understand exactly what they are looking to correct and achieve with cosmetic fillers. At the consultation patients will meet with Dr. Kulkin or one of our advanced injectors to discuss filler options. We know our patients’ time is valuable and for that reason we can schedule both the consultation and treatment for the same time, just notify us when scheduling so that we book the appropriate amount of time.
Juvederm Voluma Pricing
The cost of Juvederm Voluma is generally between $700-800/syringe.
Earn Points and Save with Brilliant Distinctions
Allergan’s Brilliant Distinctions is a multi-tiered program, the more points you earn the more perks you receive. All members, regardless of membership tier, receive points for treatments and product purchases, and may take advantage of Brilliant Distinctions Special Offers and Promotions.
At WIFH, you will earn 300 Brilliant Distinctions points for each Juvederm Voluma XC treatment.
Learn more about the Brilliant Distinctions program on our blog.
Before & After Photos
*Results may vary and are not guaranteed.
Juvederm Voluma FAQs
Does Juvederm Voluma cause bruising?
Does Juvederm Voluma migrate?
Does Juvederm Voluma hurt?
Does Juvederm Voluma last?
Does Juvederm Voluma stimulate collagen?
Can Juvederm Voluma be used on all skin types?
Is Juvederm Voluma FDA approved?
When will I see results from Juvederm Voluma?
Will I look “fake” after I have had Juvederm Voluma?
When can I return to my regular activities after I have had Juvederm Voluma injected?
Juvederm Voluma Testimonials
*Results vary from person to person and are not guaranteed