What is Smartlipo?
Smartlipo is laser-assisted liposuction and is also known as laser lipolysis. It is much less invasive than traditional liposuction with far less downtime. Smartlipo is ideal for patients wanting to get rid of troublesome bulges they have not been able to lose with diet and exercise.
At WIFH, we have performed over 8,000 Smartlipo cases. We can treat almost any area of the body: the abdominal area, flanks, thighs (inner and outer), bra fat, flanks, arms, male chests and chins. Smartlipo is performed using local anesthesia and a laser to gently melt the fat before suctioning it from the body.
Due to the heating and melting of fat prior to removal, the procedure tightens the skin, and patients see a smooth result. The melting of fat prior to removal also allows for the use of tiny instruments, which prevents excessive tissue trauma that would result in bruising. Keep in mind, this procedure does not require an IV or any injected sedation, and patients are awake during the procedure. Patients feel no pain during the procedure just mild pressure.
At WIFH, Dr. Kulkin uses the Smartlipo Triplex laser, which is proven laser technology using the highest wattage available to deliver the best possible results.
Preparing for Smartlipo
Prospective patients can best prepare for Smartlipo by keeping these tips in mind:
- Eat healthy and prepare for new lifestyle changes. Smartlipo is not a weight loss procedure. Results are permanent as long as you maintain them.
- Discuss any medications you’re taking with your doctor, including supplements. At WIFH, you should provide this information to Dr. Kulkin at the time of your consultation.
- Stay hydrated.
- Try to stop smoking at least 6 weeks out from the procedure. Smokers tend to heal slower, so we recommend you stop smoking, but you can still have the procedure if you are a smoker.
Two weeks prior to the surgery:
- Discontinue taking fish oils and daily supplements. These tend to thin the blood. Multi-vitamins are fine to continue to take.
- Always check with your surgeon about any medications that you are taking. Some doctors may require that you discontinue use prior to surgery or they may request clearance/permission from your prescribing or primary care physician.
- Take Aspirin, Ibuprofen, mega doses of Vitamin E, Aleve, or herbal medications. They tend to thin your blood which can lead to unnecessary bleeding and bruising.
Smartlipo Recovery: What to Expect After Your Procedure
WIFH patients are all able to walk out of the office, and the majority even drive themselves home. However, do expect some recovery for this procedure. Expect to feel sore for the next several days after the procedure, which might feel like you have done a major workout but should not hinder your daily activity.
It is also normal to experience some fluid drainage from the lower incision sites for the first day or two after the procedure. Though you should be able to return to work in a few days or even the next day, most patients do not resume exercise until day 5. Recovery time will also vary on a patient-by-patient basis, but most patients are able to resume strenuous activity by day 10. You might experience minimal bruising and some swelling, which will dissipate over the next few weeks following the procedure.
Come to WIFH for a free consultation and find out if Smartlipo is right for you! Dr. Kulkin will make sure you are fully prepared for the procedure and know what to expect during and after your Smartlipo laser liposuction procedure.