What is miraDry®?
For anyone that suffers from excessive underarm sweat or odor, you know how this condition impacts every aspect of your life. Excessive underarm sweating and odor can damage your confidence and keep you from doing the things you love and want to do.
Often times, simple activities leave your underarms drenched with sweat. For some, no activity is needed to experience this kind of sweating, you could be sitting comfortably on the couch watching TV and be wet with sweat.
For years, we have researched and tested technologies in hopes of finding a procedure that offered a real solution to excessive underarm sweating and odor. That road was long and disappointing.
The only option that worked was Botox® injections, but this was a temporary fix and over time became costly. We wanted an affordable long lasting solution for our patients so we were patient. It wasn’t until the arrival of miraDry®, that we found a procedure that delivered awesome results that were long lasting.
miraDry® is a safe, clinically proven, FDA cleared treatment for reducing underarm sweating and odor on all skin types in as little as one treatment.
It uses microwave energy to target and destroy sweat glands, and once destroyed, these sweat glands do not regenerate, making miraDry® a long lasting solution for underarm sweat and odor with immediate results.
Before miraDry®, the only treatment options on the market aimed at reducing underarm sweating with the use of topical medicines, prescription antiperspirants or injections such as Botox® to slow sweat production in the gland.
All of these methods are temporary and require continuous treatments in order to maintain their effectiveness. The only long term option involved surgery, which carry inherent risks.
How Does miraDry® Work?
miraDry® in Atlanta is a non-invasive, non-surgical procedure performed right here in our office using local anesthesia, making the procedure painless and comfortable. Dr. Kulkin utilizes a tumescent technique to numb the underarm area prior to the procedure. This is the same technique he uses in our liposuction cases. This technique sets us apart from many facilities also offering miraDry.
Most offices performing miraDry® simply use a series of lidocaine injections to numb the underarms; this can require up to 100 lidocaine shots in each underarm. Even then the nerve block is not effective enough to be able to treat patients at the highest power; it would not be comfortable for the patient. Using the tumescent technique, our patients only receive one lidocaine injection in each underarm; this is the location where a tiny entry point is made to infuse the numbing fluid.
Dr Kulkin’s tumescent technique creates a “cooling pillow”, which acts as a buffer between the skin and the nerves. This provides a more complete and even blocking of the nerves, making it completely comfortable and pain free. Due to the effectiveness of this method of anesthesia we are able to treat at the highest power available on the miraDry® device. Because we are able to deliver more energy, we are able to disable more of the sweat glands than if you were using less power.
In most cases, we are able to reduce the number of active sweat glands significantly with only one treatment. While results will vary from person to person, most patients report a 70%-90% reduction in sweat and odor production with one treatment. This procedure has a 89% patient satisfaction rating (rating from realself.com as of 11/10/17), which is amazing. One treatment offers huge reduction, but some of our patients want to see if they can achieve even further reduction. We can perform a second treatment; we advise waiting 3 months following your initial procedure before considering a second. We offer second procedures at a significant discount.
miraDry® Treatments at WIFH
This procedure takes approximately 2 hours from start to finish. Because there is no sedation, you are able to drive yourself home.
- In preparing for your procedure, we ask that all patients shave his or her underarms 3-4 days in advance of the procedure. Sweat glands mirror the shape of the hair growth pattern, so having a few days of stubble allows us to easily identify the location of your sweat glands.
- We will cleanse the area and place a temporary tattoo “grid” in the underarm.
- You will be given one shot of lidocaine in each underarm. Dr. Kulkin will make a tiny puncture in the skin at the numbed injection site. Through this small opening he will infuse or tumesce the numbing fluid under the skin.
- Once numbing is complete, the miraDry® hand piece is positioned on the temporary tattooed grid and suction is applied to secure it in place. Timed microwave energy is delivered to the area and once complete, the suction releases and the hand-piece is moved to the next section of the grid. This process continues until the entire underarm is treated. Each arm pit will take approximately 30 minutes to treat.
- At the completion of your procedure a band-aid will be placed on the one incision in each underarm. We will provide you with ice packs to go home with. We recommend using ice packs in intervals of 30 minutes (30 minutes on, 30 minutes off) for the remainder of the day. The ice will help reduce swelling.
- You will have some tenderness in the treated area following the procedure. If needed you can take Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- You will notice results right away and continued improvement in the coming weeks. Final results are assumed at 3 months.
Interested in miraDry?®
Schedule a Free Consultation Below
For more information on pricing and financing options, or to schedule a consultation, contact Melissa, our miraDry expert (she’s personally had this procedure done and is happy to talk to you about her experience) at email@example.com or 678-420-6275